[linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Jun 9 09:38:37 UTC 2004

On ons, 2004-06-09 at 03:12, iain duncan wrote:
> > There's a /lot/ more information available in a MIDI performance, so the
> > potential to do interesting things is greater.  Flash the screen
> > whenever the kick drum goes, have notes represented on screen as 3D
> > objects using frequency for location, filter cutoff controlling
> > lighting, blah blah etc. etc.
>
> This is simply not true though! If you have an audio feed that is kick
> only, there is far more information available by analysing the audio
> than with a simple midi note on/velocity/duration. If the kick sound is
> spectrally analysed the light can be riding the amplitude and frequency
> content over the course of the note instead of just turning on when the
> drum starts.

Mmm ... So if the kick says "Dap Dap", is that because it was triggered
twice? Or is it because it was routed thru a slapback? Or was the
sample, for some obscure reason, made that way?

The midi-control information is richer and more to the point if you are
interrested in monitoring what *causes* the sound. Reverse engineering
the resulting sound makes no sense. For what it is worth, it could be
just a sample of some guy with a giant ghetto-blaster pushing CD-play

/jens