[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Thu Jun 10 01:35:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:17:21PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> If it's determined that linear is indeed better I think the knob should
> change into something that makes it clear that up/down linear movement
> is what's required then.
>
> Grabbing a knob and moving the mouse up and down just isn't intuitive,
> and smashes the hardware metaphor to tiny little bits.

It's not as bad as you want to make it.  It really is not confusing.  But
I like the notion of popping up a little meter when you grab a knob.  It
visually indicates which knob is grabbed, and indicates linearity.

So who is gonna do the behavioral study? :)

We can all take individual data points and have a data-gatherer...

my non-geek, non-music girlfriend and friends would help us test :)