[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Dan Harper tech at danharper.org
Thu Jun 10 02:25:58 UTC 2004

I for one dislike the knob design, you just cannot make fine adjustments
easily.  Someone said that you can take the mouse out to a greater
radius from the knob, but that is just plain silly.  While you move the
mouse out from the knob, you're bound to make small adjustments to the
value of the knob, unless you're a super-human, ultra-precision mouser!
This means that you're original value of the knob has been lost, and
you'd have to live with that, or move it to it's original position
first, and then make your slight adjustment.

Also, it's just not natural for me to move my mouse in a circle, the
natural movement of my hand is not a circle, try to draw a perfect
circle in the Gimp sometime by mouse! This means, that at different
parts of the knob tweaking, you'd be changing value by an unpredictable
amount depending on how good your circle is.  This means also that
left-handed mousers are going to change values at the opposite
sensitivity level at different parts of the motion.

There is no easy solution as far as I can see, but what about a few
physical knobs, cheaply built, that send some kind of data via USB or
something that can change values.  That's the best way I reckon, except
for the cost factor.

I'll keep thinking about a purely software solution though.

Dan

--
Dan Harper
http://danharper.org