[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 06:38:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:10:35 -0700, Michael Ost wrote:
> I'm with a company trying to make money off of linux audio. While I
> enjoy the technical/academic discursion (though lots get the
> subject-line only review! %), I'd like to think this list could support
> those who mix the market with idealism.... like, well, me.

So do I, I'm hoping its people like you who are going to save my arse if
linux audio /does/ become popular. I doubt I can make my living off audio
software, and I could support the number of people that commercial
audio software developers I know do, with the way I work now.

> While it's true that the proprietary world has made lots of bad s/w, we
> in the biz have also made lots of great stuff.

Yep. Bring it on. Its not for me (my needs are kinda specilised), but I'd
rather see a thriving propietary software matket on linux than on windows.
I know many people disagree though FWIW.

> If y'all care (and I think you should) the best way to encourage the
> proprietary folks to adopt and put energy into open source efforts is to
> focus on libraries and not apps.

Here is where we disagree. You guys dont make apps I'm interested in (in
general), and while I make plenty of libraries as a side effect of writing
apps, the apps are what I want.

- Steve