[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 10 13:39:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 00:10, Michael Ost wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:56, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > I don't think I could possibly care less who uses 'linux audio'.  I
> > don't really think anyone else here should either - we should be aiming
> > to build the best system possible, period.  Not saying "look!  popular
> > software the people pay money for does this;  therefore we must too!"
>
> I'm with a company trying to make money off of linux audio. While I
> enjoy the technical/academic discursion (though lots get the
> subject-line only review! %), I'd like to think this list could support
> those who mix the market with idealism.... like, well, me.
>
> > If anything, we should be looking at the proprietary music software
> > world to make sure we avoid repeating their mistakes (ridiculous
> > duplication of effort, lock-in, and horrid UIs for example), not
> > duplicating them just because.  (Not to say we can't take positive
> > things from that world too though)
>
> Should I drop off the list? I ain't the same 'we' you are, I guess.
>
> While it's true that the proprietary world has made lots of bad s/w, we
> in the biz have also made lots of great stuff.

Hence why I specifically said we can take positive things from the
proprietary software world too.  You really just want to precisely
duplicate all popular proprietary software, just because?  I guess we
aren't the same "we".

> If y'all care (and I think you should) the best way to encourage the
> proprietary folks to adopt and put energy into open source efforts is to
> focus on libraries and not apps.

I have to ask:  if you want to develop everything exactly like the
popular proprietary Windows/MacOS software, and want to facilitate
proprietary audio software under linux... why the linux in the first
place?  Obviously you don't care about 'software freedom' all that much,
so what's the point?

If you want a system with a bunch of proprietary audio software, why the
*#$#@ would you be running linux??

That nice you think I should want proprietary software to get developed
for linux.  Well, I don't.  IMHO that amounts to throwing away the
single advantage "we" have, which sounds pretty stupid to me.

Go develop proprietary software on OSX or something.

-DR- (Who is speaking for himself and only himself, save it)