[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Thu Jun 10 09:28:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:11:33PM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:

> Just as if i said: "There something magical about the sound of pipe
> organs. No wonder they're called the kings of all musical instruments.
> We have tried to model one such pipe organ as close as possible so that
> you can enjoy playing a real church organ at home. Almost - the church
> is missing. The sound isn't <link to sound demos>"

> Would i cheat if i said that? Judging from the reactions of lots of
> people, i'd say not at *all*.

The term 'cheat' only makes sense in a context where you are are
interacting with someone, and want to drive the result of that
interaction in a certain direction which you consider desirable.

As far as I am concerned, that context is not present.

What I *can* say is that your text would completely misrepresent
both myself as a person and my motivations for writing Aeolus.

> And you'd be surprised - your opinion doesn't matter much to me,
> Fons. Why?

My opinion on what ?

> Because you'll always be critical and you'll always know what's
> missing even if it's 0.1% of it all. Which is good for the DSP part
> of that application, not the application as a whole.

What is you definition of 'the good of the application as a whole' ?
And I didn't wait to release it, even if IMHO it still very far from
target, a lot more than 0.1%.

Anyway, those people who have said they like it don't seem to bother
about the complete absence of eyecandy. Why should that be ? Probably
because they are interested in making music, and you don't need chrome
and coloured plastic to do that. The GUI as it is looks very basic, and
maybe at some time I will design some nice round buttons for the stops.
But even now it respects the logic and traditions of organ building
(or at least the main 'performance' window does), and any organist will
find his way without even having to think a second.

--
FA