[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype [was: Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?}

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Thu Jun 10 18:36:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:26:44PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I'm happy to have the freedom to know what my OS is *really* doing.  I'd
> >buy Cubase for Linux.
>
> you don't care as much about the freedom to know what your DAW is
> *really* doing? if you're a musician or an audio engineer, you will be
> interacting with the DAW very very much more than with the OS ...

I'd *like* that.  But I'd also like to be able to make music on Linux.
I'm an OS hacker by trade and an amateur musician by hobby.  In order to
reconcile my tastes for music software and Linux, I have had to begin to
become an audio hacker.  I am faced every day with the decision to
a) make music
b) make music software

So when I disappear from the GMPI list for a few days and then re-appear
with 20 emails in one day, you now know where my attention is going :)

Tim