[linux-audio-dev] TiMidity as a CPU hog

Greg Lee greg at ling.lll.hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 10 19:40:33 UTC 2004

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>  Can someone explain why TiMidity eventually hogs the CPU at 95% or more
> after running for a while (like  12 hours or more) ? I'm talking about
> hogging the chip while TiMidity is idling, not playing.

I'd guess that it is actually playing -- busy running through all its
calculations on an empty input midi stream and playing silence.  But
I don't understand why it would hog more and more over time.  Maybe
it's channel filters that accumulate.  Those are ordinarily
reinitialized at the beginning of each midi file, but when it's
a server, perhaps there are no new beginnings, and if a filter
is ever used on a channel, it persists to the end of server time.
Filters take lots of computation.

Greg