[linux-audio-dev] TiMidity as a CPU hog

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Fri Jun 11 09:26:19 UTC 2004

Hi Dave, Takashi!

I've got timidity up and running now, as a server under OSS. Made me
self a new option to read directly from /dev/sequencer2 (The
documentation says the input format should be similar to /dev/sequencer,
but that's wrong.)

The first note I play actually happens, and resembles an acoustic piano
with a bit of wobbly reverb. So far so good ...

The problem is that it stops rendering as soon as I release the note and
then only renders when there is new midi-input (as in massaging the
modulation wheel like a mad man ...). I have tried turning active
sensing ON on my keyboard to no avail.

Then I started to look further into the sources in search for the actual
synthesizer. There is some 3MB of cross-platform C-code and headers, and
most of it is not what I'm looking for.

So far I have only localized the soundfont loader and I am currently
reading up on the struct that defines the format. If I can find (or if
you can help me find?) the parts that actually assigns and renders a
note, then I should be able to write a new CPU-friendly voice-assigner

The goal would be to pruduce something like a tmdt--. That is to say:
Timidity++ unbloated, a module which only includes the stuff needed to
run as a softsynth under Linux.

So, where is the damned synthesizer? :)

mvh // Jens M Andreasen