[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 10 22:21:42 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:26:54 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Better use Mutt, it sucks less.
>
> In all seriousness, all the non elm/mutt apps I've used dont let me go
> though my mail quickly enough. The ability to switch inboxes, delete big
> swathes of threads I dont care about and save sutff I do it vital to me.

And Mutt was obviously written without eye-candy in mind, just
functionality. And it was created at a time, when even GUI mail clients
were approaching usefulness, so it didn't *have* to be Just Another
Console Mail Client, it wanted to be one.

Instructive side story: I once installed Linux on a CPU-challenged
machine (486/133Mhz) for a friend and teached her to use Mutt. Later
she bought a faster PC, I upgraded everything to KDE and so on and then
suggested to install a "real" email client with a GUI. She vehemently
forbid that I did this with: "Don't take away my mail program, I'm
really used to it now and know all keyboard shortcuts." I never
expected this.

Ciao