[linux-audio-dev] Sliders 2

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Jun 12 13:04:47 UTC 2004

Hi!

Worked out a design for fan-sliders:
http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-06-12_fan_slider_02.png

I wanted the whole slider to appear raised, emphasizing
it's clickable everywhere. Therefor the glass capsule
look serves a purpose, and is not just eye-candy.

The orange/yellow is supposed to give enough contrast in
brightness alone, and to give a feel of energy, without
being too agressive.

First 3 sizes, to see how it looks like down to quadratic
for replacing small knobs (not sure about that).

Then on mouse-over. It must be imediately clear, that
there is this functionality, and I hope this will make
noobs try what happens when moving the pointer towards
that area. Also doubles as alternative to the usual
highlighting for now.

This initial area fades out to the outside, as does
the part right of the pointer position when the pointer
is outside the main slider. This is for indicating that
you can always move farther outwards (well, screen
edges could be the limit, but shouldn't be, IMHO)

I moved away from showing straightened lines on the
outside (reiterating the plain slider). I thought it
would make interpretation easier, but now think it only
leads to a weird distorted 3d look.

Note that the mouse pointer will be offset from
the mark according to where the user clicked on the
slider. Such behaviour might seem strange first, but
I know from Blender that one can get used to it in not
time, and then it's just fine.

And finaly showing a little transparency. Should allow
to compare with other sliders that would otherwise be
hidden. But must be carefully adjusted, to not just
result in a mess on screen.

On mouse buttons and modifiers:
- Left is clear
- Right should be reserved for context menu. But who
says a slider can't have one: min, max, reset/center,
copy/paste ...
- Middle button could be used for jump mode (value
snaps to mouse position imediately)
- Wheel and +/- keys could work on mouse-over already

Now Ctrl is used to emulate right-click on the Mac and
I believe in Blender. Therefor Ctrl-leftclick should be
configurable.
What about middle-click emulation?

Shift could be used to open the fan area enlarged right
above the slider, or any other way as shortcut to higher
precison.

Alt for changing the value in steps, maybe.

---
Thorsten Wilms