[linux-audio-dev] Terminology / sampler architecture

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Jun 15 12:03:25 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Besides widgte-level gui standards another topic for
general usability is terminology. Naming of concepts
like sessions, banks, presets, patches and so on.

I expect quite some resistance about renaming stuff
in existing apps, but a guideline would still be a
good thing for future developments and minimizing
confusion.

So I would like to hear of personal preferences
and known differences in naming on existing apps.

Of special interest to me is naming and structure of
the different organizational levels of samplers.

And a specific questions: what is thought to be the
best approach to allow both having multiple samples
with greatly varying setups of filters/amps/etc
(drumkits) and multiple samples for chromatic
instruments with smooth changes of filter/amp/etc
settings?

Thanks in advance for any input!

---
Thorsten Wilms