[linux-audio-dev] Spinboxes

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Mon Jun 21 06:48:07 UTC 2004

On sön, 2004-06-20 at 18:16, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> I think the variations with arrows are less pleasant to
> look at. Using - and + also avoids confusion with option
> menus. But I would like to hear everyone's opinion on that.

How about sideway fwd/back arrows. The sideway movement of the bar
indicates something like that

 |<|>|

> I don't know if showing the value as bar in the background
> is a good idea in the end, because it might be confusing (?)

Not all values are on a scale. Channel one is no more nor less than
channel 16. Sound 128 is not nescessarily fatter or thinner than any
other sound. So in those cases the bar would get in the way.

Also having the bar go thru a number that you might like to read is not
so perfect. Is that a 3 or is it an 8? And where did that tiny decimal
point go?

Fading the whole background/foreground could be an option. The idea
being that a led behind the widget emits more light as the values get
higher.

> The right ones show highlighting (and the usual cursor
> change) on mouse-over.
>

> Mousewheel should work on mouse-over (no clicking required)
> just like is the case with GTK+ spinboxes (can't test other
> toolkits now).
> The minus key should be reserved for entering the minus sign.

So plus/minus buttons is kind of off, no matter the esthetics?

> Middle mouse button should be reserved for paste, right one
> for context menu (besides copy/paste it could contain
> max, min and 50% commands).
>
> So only clicks with modifier keys are left.
> I would propose Ctrl leftclick on -/+ buttons for larger
> steps.

I think page up/down is standard behaviour for large steps in GTK.
Arrow left/down decrements, right/up increments.

Click and Hold spins thru all values, first with the small increment
value and then after some time with the page size.

mvh // Jens M andreasen