[linux-audio-dev] Spinboxes

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Mon Jun 21 07:10:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:53:55AM -0400, Pete Bessman wrote:

> I think you are *really* on to something here.

:)

> I definitely think these are a major improvement over spinbuttons as
> far as audio apps are concerned.  My only question is if they're
> superior to traditional knobs/sliders.  I think the only way to tell
> would be to implement and compare.

Spinboxes on their own are the right control for stepped values,
like channel.

For continuous values (like volume) knobs or sliders are better,
because the actualy show the range/relative value and generaly
give a feel for the continous nature of the parameter.

Spinboxes are a good addition to knobs/sliders for providing
numerical info/input and finestepped adjustment.

Limited space can still be a reason for using spinboxes
exclusively for continous parameters.

---
Thorsten Wilms