[linux-audio-dev] IRQ rotation

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Fri Mar 5 17:09:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:06:27PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> It used to be possible (in the 2.0 kernel series) to the rotate priority of
> IRQs on the two controllers. This sounds really good as on my laptop the
> soundcard is welded to IRQ5 (very low priority) and everything else is on
> IRQ10 (higher, c.f. http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html sec
> 2.4), so I can only run the card with big buffers.

This really mattered?  I'm honestly DEEPLY surprised, and a bit sceptical.
IRQ priority will only matter AT ALL if you are in a constant state of
interrupt, or your IRQ handlers are painfully slow, neither of which should
be true.

DMA ATA mitigates IRQ storms a LOT, and you shouldn't be flooding the net
while you play low-latency audio.  Those are the two biggest sources of
IRQs.

Curious to see how it changes with a new laptop..