[linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 18:22:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:48:35PM +0100, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:30:46PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
>

> > I still dont think that listing
> > some hardcoded presets in an integer control port is a good way to have
> > presets. It screws up automation for one thing.
>
> Could you explain that ?

The disaterous case for the current (annotation in the label) pure
ladspa.h hack is the TAP Reverb preset, as it has so many annotated
values. I think it would be much better if the plugin came with preset
files(s) describing the presets so that host could present them as
choices, doesnt need a wierdly semanticly overridden port, and automation
can still work.

I think that only big, complex UI driven hosts need scales and
enumerations, and they can just use RDF. Any app that links against GTK or
Qt is not even going to notice liblrdf.

> > All of the features missing from LADSPA seem neccesary to someone - but if
> > we add them all in the nwe will have a crappy and still incomplete plugin
> > format, just like VST or DirectX.
>
> And what do we have now ?

A nice and incomplete plugin standard. I believe that it will always be
incomplete but it doesnt have to be messy or complex. People complain
DirectX is missing features, and its /huge/.

The key feature that made me start coding for LADSPA was how easy it was
to create plugins - I dont want that to be taken away and potentailly
discourage new developers.

- Steve