[linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 08:53:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:09:21 -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Tim Goetze wrote on Mon, 08-Mar-2004:
>
>  > [Taybin Rutkin]
>  >
>  > >How should a host deal with a port that is MOMENTARY, but not
>  > >TOGGLED?  What would the UI be?
>  >
>  > a pushbutton emitting the default value for the port is a possibility.
>  > another is a pushbutton and a slider/knob for setting the value to be
>  > transmitted when pushed. yet another is a sensitive peak meter-like
>  > object transmitting the amplitude at which the user clicked the
>  > object.
>
> Also, to take an example from sooperlooper, its multicontrol port
> would be a MOMENTARY and ENUMERATED port.  An ideal UI in its case would
> likely be a bunch of buttons, one for each enumeration....  but
> a generic host might make it a combobox and single button.

Thats just a bad reflection of the controls - I would expect a set of
MOMENTARY controls for that situatuation (like on a hardware box).

No host has any chance of correctly interpreting that situation - someone
else could declare the same thing and reasonably expect it to be something
completely different (e.g. a slider that resets back to its default
position when released, like a pitchwheel).

I also dont like overloading the behviour of default to mean "not the
defualt" if the control is MOMENTARY hinted.

- Steve