[linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue May 4 13:10:48 UTC 2004

At Tue, 04 May 2004 11:08:28 +0200,
Andrea Glorioso wrote:

>     > so far, alsa-firmware package is released from the understanding
>     > of 1 as "data".  but if someone insists it as program, yes, it
>     > can be a problem.
>
> And what's worse, the   distinction between "program" and   "data" can
> often become  really blurry.  And I  might  be wrong,  but my guess is
> that if a piece of data is absolutely necessary for  a GNU GPL program
> to work, then    that data should be  distributed   together  with the
> program at the same  conditions of the GNU  GPL (otherwise the GNU GPL
> itself could be very easily bypassed).

the firmware is necessary only for the hardware.  it's not directly
related with the other software, such as driver, the apps, or anything
else.
for example, the loader program itself can work even with a dummy
data (although the hardware behaviour would become unexpectable).

>     > sure, the correct distribution under GPL would be the best case,
>     > i.e. including the source code of the orignal assembly codes (if
>     > really exists).
>
>     > basically, it is  a decision of the h/w  vendor who provides the
>     > DSP binary, not by me.  if the GPL is  really unsuitable (and we
>     > can judge  the firmware as a program   100% absolutely :), we'll
>     > suggest   them to either  show  the  source code  or change  the
>     > license ASAP. but i don't expect GPL source codes as a realistic
>     > solution, although i'll  try it of  course.  remember that  they
>     > are *really* delicate about the firmware code.
>
> The first step I would do  is ask the  companies that are distributing
> firmware under the GNU GPL is a written  and signed statement that the
> binary code is actually their preferred form to modify the program, as
> as such the binary and the source really are the same thing.

hmm, i'll ask them again, but as far as i've heard from them, they
wanted to keep the internal firmware information closed.
don't expect too much about this...

Takashi