[Agnula-Developers] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun May 9 18:44:06 UTC 2004

> let me clarify the situation.  there are a couple of different
> questions regarding this:
>
> 1. is the firmware binary is a program or a data?
> 2. can we force the h/w vendor to show the source code under GPL (if
>    exists) in practice?
> 3. if not, shouldn't we change the license to the non-restrictive one?
>    which license would be feasible?
>
> so far, alsa-firmware package is released from the understanding of 1
> as "data".  but if someone insists it as program, yes, it can be a
> problem.

I tend to look at it (very conveniently, of course) as neither. I view
it as part of the hardware device we're dealing with. Without it the
device does not work. It is distributed as a separate file (inside the
driver disk that actually comes with the device) because it is
convenient for the manufacturer for updates, avoiding a flash rom in the
device, and so on and so forth.

Most probably very few people will agree with this viewpoint :-)
-- Fernando