[linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Wed May 5 01:56:48 UTC 2004

Hi people,

First of all, I wonder why no-one has thought to contact me to ask about
these points brought up about my work. Anyway, I'd be happy to explain a
couple of things like why I use Flash, Java and Mp3 even though they're
proprietary. I would be very happy to get away from proprietary technologies
completely but I also want people to be able to enjoy my work with minimum
effort. I am of course aware of SVG and OGG and do most of my work on Linux
(except Flash of course). However, although we all love non-proprietary
software and platforms, they are seldom pre-installed on 'regular' users
computers. If they drop in at a site that requires that they download and
install not one, but two or three plug-ins or programs, they're just going
to skip the site and go to the next one. I would. I could try to be really
modest and say, "I don't care what anyone else thinks or says, I'm just
doing this for myself!" But that just wouldn't be true. I'm doing this for
an audience and the bigger the better. I want people to experience and enjoy
my work and I know they won't if it involves a bunch of downloading and
installing. I have been moving towards Java instead of Flash specifically
because Flash doesn't run well on Linux and with Java I can do all my work
on Linux.

On the issue of GPL-ing my stuff. I'm just not that organized. If anyone
wants to see my files, just contact me and ask. I have nothing against
sharing them and do whenever anyone requests it.

best regards,

Pall Thayer
artist/teacher
Fjolbrautaskolinn vid Armula