[linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Wed May 12 14:02:42 UTC 2004

Richard Bown <richard.bown at ferventsoftware.com> writes:

> Are you using the stock 2.4.21 kernel?  Any idea how to enable
> capabilities on it?  I've been playing around with SuSE 9.0 over the
> last couple of days and with an SBLive am only get reasonably
> xrun-free performance with jackd at 2048, 2 periods.  I'd like to
> enable caps and use jackstart to see if that makes a difference but
> after a couple of days of prodding about only found one oblique
> reference to modifying CAP_INIT_EFF_SET and CAP_INIT_INH_SET in
> include/linux/capability.h.  Even then the kernel I ended up building
> wouldn't boot - my usual standard of kernel build I hasten to add..

That sounds like the right patch.  It's just two lines.

Then, you have to build a working kernel.  There are lots of HOWTOs
and other documents on that.  Often it's good to start with a working
.config from your distribution.  Unfortunately, those usually depend
on an initrd for crucial device drivers these days.  Patiently
checking all those options is probably the best approach.  Make sure
the boot device driver and file system are included in the kernel, not
built as modules, etc.

> Any clues?

The JACK FAQ has reasonably complete instructions for the capabilities
patch.

  http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a5

Sounds like you already did that.
--