[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA proposal ...

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sat May 15 07:23:37 UTC 2004

Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be> writes:
>

>>On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:31:01AM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
<snip>

>>LISP is quite nice actually, but you'd need a complete LISP engine to
>>read it...
>

> That wasn't really a serious suggestion.  The libguile.so.12.3.0 file
> on my system is over half a meg.  Would all the LADSPA hosts be
> willing to add that and whatever else it entails to their memory
> footprint?
>
> Libxml2 is even bigger, almost a meg.  I wonder how many LADSPA hosts
> already use it for some other reason?  I see that ardour, jamin and
> hydrogen do...
>
>   $ ldd `which ardour` | grep xml
> 	libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 (0x40297000)

sure, libxml2 is huge, but almost everybody will have it in memory
anyway, since it's used by other programs.

imho, xml *is* very human-readable if the DTD is sane and the output
is pretty-printed. and it's already defined, all the tools are in
place, and changing the DTD is a matter of writing a simple XSLT for
the users to convert their old versions.

so ++xml.

best,

jörn

--