[linux-audio-dev] Info required: FLAC on W*****S

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Tue May 18 20:46:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:24:14 +0200
Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm involved in a (friendly) debate on the surround sound list.
> One the main contributors of this list, Angelo Farina (univ. of
> Parma, Italy) wants to make available some interesting 4-channel
> recordings he recently made. The distribution format has to be
> lossless. I already pointed him to FLAC and the Windows tools
> available for this format. He tested these and has some objections:
>
> - The codec does accept WAV, but not WAV-EX files.
> - There seems to be no Windoze player that can handle
>   4 channels FLAC files directly.

Once libsndfile gets Ogg Vorbis and Speex support, FLAC support is
also high on the list. Since libsndfile accepts WAV-EX (stupid fscking
microsoft idea) it will be able to transcode WAV-EX -> FLAC without
a problem. libsndfile also comes with a command line player (works
in windows) so that can solve the playing problem as well.

> I'd like to exert some gently pressure towards an open source
> format, but then I'll need some answers to these problems.
> So if anyone has some information about this, I'd like to
> know. All this may be a bit OT, so maybe the best thing is
> to contact me by email.

Colonisation of the windows world by Free Software is very definitely
on topic :-).

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
A good debugger is no substitue for a good test suite.