[linux-audio-dev] q - Selecting soundfonts via MIDI

David McNab rebirth at orcon.net.nz
Sun May 23 20:38:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

It's my understanding that on synth devices (eg fluidsynth, and the
memory on loaded soundcards), one selects a sound via MIDI
'program-change' events, and can select a bank via MIDI 'controller
change/bank-select-msb' events.

However, when I have fluidsynth loaded with more than one soundfont
file, how do i select sounds from different banks within different
soundfonts?

I've tried all different combinations of program-change,
controller-change/bank-select-msb and controller-change/bank-select-lsb,
but nothing seems to work.

Ditto, how do I achieve this via the ALSA Sequencer API? (I've already
asked on the ALSA list, but people side-stepped the question).

All help appreciated.

--
Cheers
David