Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Eliot Blennerhassett linux at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Sun Nov 28 20:27:46 UTC 2004

> > > Ah i don't know. I mean, you guys have put a lot of time into what your
> > > doing anyway. And in my case the trust in rme turned out to be a bummer
> > > just becasue i was thinking that they have trust in the open source
> > > developers. If they did have such trust, something like this would
> > > never happen. Once again, the simple answer is www.audioscience.com.
> >
> > 	Why don't the guys who do the driver development see if audioscience

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

> Do you mean the ALSA developers? Audioscience does its drivers for ALSA,
> no volunteers needed. :)

Not so fast...  we at audioscience would love to have some help with our ALSA
driver and our underlying HPI driver.
We are a small company that supports various Micros~1 flavours as well as
Linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernel variations.  I am the single person who does all the
linux stuff, and would still say I don't know enough to do it easily or
properly.

(Of course I have had help from our customers and other alsa developers, and
kudos to Takashi Iwai for doing the work to incorporate our ALSA driver into
the alsa tree)

So step right up...

> > would be interested in producing pro audio cards (not just broadcast)
> > with driver help from the OS community.  They seem like they have their
> > act together.

So, what is the difference between our current offerings and what you'd like
to see in a "pro audio card"?

> Seems like a good idea to me. The 5044 cards offers 8 analog i/os of
> 24/192 and i wonder whether such card could not already be used for
> studio purposes.
> But in any case, they're very close.
>
> Marek

regards