[linux-audio-dev] USB sound card for Mac and PC

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Tue Oct 5 20:04:47 UTC 2004

On tis, 2004-10-05 at 21:14, Pamplemousse Mk2 wrote:
> Hello,

-<snip>-
> ... I plan to buy a recent laptop.  ...
-<snip>-
> I have read on internet that USB port add
> 4ms of latency. Is USB 2.0 better in latency than USB 1.0?

We had a thread where this came up (fairly) recently.

Consensus is that USB.2 has more bandwith than USB.1 but latencies (and
jitter) stays the same, that is to say in the milisecond range. (Two
miliseconds for a roundtrip.)

The OS in use along with its associted drivers may or may not add to
this.

As far as I know, MacOs on PPC doesn't, Linux on Intel doesn't. Various
Microsoft products (on Intel) reportedly do. (Dunno about Linux on PPC.)

Please check your Internet sources for what kind of setup they were
talking about?

mvh // Jens M Andreasen