[linux-audio-dev] USB sound card for Mac and PC

Pamplemousse Mk2 pamplemousse_mk2 at netcourrier.com
Thu Oct 7 11:39:47 UTC 2004

Hello,

>>Have a look at <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/>.
Thank you for this very useful link. I have seen 2 or 3 sound cards very
interesting.

> Whatever you buy, look for (how to say?), look for an indication that it
> will work in MacOS(X) without any additional install of drivers ...
> Which translates into that the device is "standards-compliant" and
> *should* work out of the box with your Linux box (or for that matter,
> any host aware of usb sound and/or midi)

Yes you're right. I am interesting about these cards:
- M-Audio MobilePre USB
- Terratec Phase 26 USB (not tested on 2.6 kernel by Linux-USB, but
should work fine). Advertise says this sound card has very low latency.
But I have read there is some problem with direct monitoring on Windows
(I don't know what they are really talking about).
- Yamaha UW500: I have seen no test or review about this hardware.

There is the M-Audio Audiophile USB but it does not work on Gentoo (and
of course, I use Gentoo!!).

With one of these cards, I would be able to plug my mixer (Technics
SH-DJ 1200) on it and make phrase and live sample. I don't know yet if
these cards work on MacOs without additional drivers. I should look for
this info now.

I have 2 others questions:
1 - Is it right to consider ALSA as an ASIO-like driver for Linux?
2 - Is there a noticeable difference between 16bit/44kHz and 24/96KHz?
Especially when recording from sources like records or CD?

Thanks for all your advices.