[linux-audio-dev] qjackctl port list

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Sat Oct 9 18:01:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:05:31 +0200
Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be> wrote:

> > what order? afaik there's no guarantee made by jackd to present lists of
> > client ports in a particular order.
>
> Are you sure about this ? How then are apps like qjackctl supposed to
> list them in any logical order ? Alphabetical sorting will work in
> some cases, but produce horrible results in others.

i think the order is just implicitly given by the order of the creation. The
api docs themselfes don't seem to make this garantee though, thus one cannot
rely on it. Maybe it would be good though if the api docs made such a
garantee. As i can see there's no "correct" order right now.

> At least jack_lsp seems to list ports in the order they were created.
>
> The practical problem I'm facing now is with multiple stereo outputs.
> You'd expect L1, R1, L2, R2, etc. but qjackctrl first gives you all
> the left, then all the right outputs.

This could be overcome by using 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, etc.

flo