[linux-audio-dev] anyone interested to develop a new apps ?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Oct 24 12:42:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 06:37, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Jan Depner hat gesagt: // Jan Depner wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 18:13, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >
> > > It's similar to the fact, that everyone should learn at least one
> > > scripting language like Python, Bash or Perl. It's good for the mind
> > > and it enables you to create little custom applications instead of
> > > waiting for the C developers to write fullblown (and maybe bloated)
> > > applications to fulfil these generally very personal needs.
> >
> > <tongue in cheek>
> >
> > 	I disagree.  Everyone should learn C and C++ then they wouldn't have to
> > wait for the C/C++ developers ;-)  Although, I must admit, I do lapse
> > into shell programming on occasion.
> >
> > </tongue in cheek>
>
> There is an important difference between C/C++ and "scripting
> languages" (including Pd): rapid prototyping is much faster with
> scripting languages than with C/C++. And Pd and Python are much easier
> to learn than C. Pd patches or Python scripts are easier to compile.
> I just want people to see, that everything doesn't need to be a
> C-application and that they can do a lot of things with much simpler
> tools.

	Geez Frank, you went and got serious on me ;-)  Always remember though
- scripting languages are not compiled so they're much slower.  If
you're going to do something that requires speed and will be used a lot
then a compiled language is your best bet. Also, after 15 years of C
programming for a living (and 27 years of FORTRAN) I can rapid prototype
just as quickly in C ;-)  But, seriously, I agree that for most simple
things that don't require speed and won't be used constantly scripting
languages are fine.

Jan