[linux-audio-dev] anyone interested to develop a new apps ?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Oct 24 22:16:49 UTC 2004

dubphil at free.fr writes:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 11:06:50PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Now, as SuperCollider is mentioned: Are there any news on the
>> SuperCollider vs. Vim front?
>
> I spend 1 hour to search how to make the SC3 stuff working and you just
> mentioned that I must use emacs !??

No, you don't really have to.  Its just that the best editing interface for
SC is currently Emacs, that doesn't mean you can't do anything without Emacs.

> I took few months to learn Vi very well and now I must learn Emacs before spending time to learn SC3 !!?? :)
>
> I believed that I just have to save the code in a file then run scsynth
> with the path to the file as attribute in order to get the code
> running...

Not quite.  You need to run sclang and not scsynth.  Now sclang does
interpretation step-by-step, and if there is no input left, the program
ends, so if you just do

# sclang split.sc

It will start the server and all, but it will immediately exit again, which
is not what you want.  The trick is to specify another input source, like
stdin, so that the interpreter waits for more commands, and therefore
doesn't exit.  You can use this to control sclang by giving it
additional commands if you want.

So you do:

# sclang split.sc -

And it should work.