[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Wed Sep 1 10:15:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:15:24 -0400
Pete Bessman <ninjadroid at gazuga.net> wrote:

> The D programming language looks very promising in this regard, but
> its newsgroup faces a daily battle with people who seem more
> interested in creating a religion than a tool.

I had a bit of a look at D and I was majorly underwhelmed. This
is a direct descendant of C, C++ and Java. It extends this lineage
a little, but completely ignores ideas from languages such as Perl,
Python, Ruby and the whole constellation of functional languges.

> Now that I think about
> it, that struggle seems to be a recurring theme in the world of
> programming languages at large.

Has anyone else looked at O'Caml? :

    http://www.ocaml.org/

I've been coding in it for about 6 weeks and I'm REALLY enjoying
it. Its the most fun I've had coding in ages.

If anyone has the FFTW sources on their machines, they already
have some O'Caml source :-). The FFTW authors wrote a program
in O'Caml to generate the C code for the codelets.

Erik