[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Pete Bessman ninjadroid at gazuga.net
Wed Sep 1 12:48:09 UTC 2004

At Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:15:54 +1000,
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:15:24 -0400
> Pete Bessman <ninjadroid at gazuga.net> wrote:
>
> > The D programming language looks very promising in this regard, but
> > its newsgroup faces a daily battle with people who seem more
> > interested in creating a religion than a tool.
>
> I had a bit of a look at D and I was majorly underwhelmed. This
> is a direct descendant of C, C++ and Java. It extends this lineage
> a little, but completely ignores ideas from languages such as Perl,
> Python, Ruby and the whole constellation of functional languges.

That's actually precisely what I like about it.  D is, depending on
your vantage point, a modernized C, a cleaned up C++, or a
non-retarded Java (sorry, I can't think of a more diplomatic way to
say that).  That's all it's supposed to be.  There isn't exactly
a dearth of more experimental languages out there, I like seeing
a real grizzled and pragmatic language like D pop up.

--Pete

<http://www.gazuga.net>

"Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic!" --Tom Venuto