[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Maybe I'm going at this wrong...?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Thu Sep 9 16:51:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:19:32AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 23:53, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > Lee Revell wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 17:38, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Well, actually there is an R9 out today ...
> Yeah, I know, but R9 had a bug that caused it to not compile for me; R6
> was the last version that worked.  Maybe you are just not hitting that
> bug...

hmm, yeah, guess I just got lucky.

> > I have it patched, compiled and installed.
> > audiobox:~# uname -r
> > 2.6.9-rc1-bk12-vp-r9
> > (had to lowercase the extraversion stuff to comply with debian policy
> > when making .deb with make-kpkg)
> OK, great!  I have been meaning to make .debs of these but have not had
> time.

I'm in the habit of doing this on all the boxes I administer. It's
actually easier, imho, than the typical kernel build and easier to
manage different kernel versions. Unfortunately, I doubt my kernels will
be much use to anyone else as I tend to configure only the options I
need for my hardware. I don't even include stuff I have, but am not
using. For instance, there's no usb stuff in my kernel even though usb
is available on my mobo.

If I ever get my web/mail/icecast server finished and online I would not
mind at all building debs for others and making them available. I would
just need to get a standard .config from somewhere that would be likely
to work for most people. Building 2.6 kernels takes just over 4 minutes
on my audiobox. (The server's actually online, just not doing anything
... I changed registrars, still need to change the dns records and
coordinate shutting down the current hosting service, and, of course,
write some little python scripts to actually generate the html ... )

> > I've set all the /proc and /sys stuff I could find in the wiki (console
> > output below). Still, I get xruns reported by my ecasound 8 analogueOsc
> > What other info should I provide?
> All your settings look good.  I think you are in good shape.  xruns are
> normal when connecting and disconnecting a jack client, this does not
> seem to hurt anything, and they should not happen once you are rolling.

I think I mentioned earlier, but in case I didn't I'll say it again.
Other than the usual xruns when new clients connect, the xruns I'm
seeing aren't reported by jackd at all. I only see them from the
ecasound instance that is hosting the analogueOsc LADSPA plugins and
only when it exits. The rtnull input object reports them when this
ecasound instance exits. Every ecasound chain has to have an input and
an output. Since I just want the audio from the plugin, which in
ecasound's world is an effect attached to a chain between an input and
an output, the rtnull input object serves as a place holder virtual
audio device/file/thing.

Maybe these xruns are red herring? Kai?

> If you do get any xruns, here is how to debug them.  Reset the
> preemption latency counter like this:
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/preempt_max_latency
> Then start jackd.  When you see an xrun, copy the contents of
> /proc/latency_trace to a file, then post them here.

I'll do this when I get home. Thanks.

> Also, are you running debian unstable?  What output do you get when you
> run 'getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION'?  There is a known bug affecting
> the version of glibc that debian unstable comes with.

Debian testing. How long has that been in unstable? Do you know if it
has migrated to testing, yet? I'm guessing not since they are trying to
get a release out and if the bug is still there I doubt they would move
it to testing.

Anyway, I'll check when I get home. I really ought to get my home
network in shape. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to check this
from here ... so many projects ... ah well.

Thanks,
Eric Rz.