[ecasound] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Maybe I'm going at this wrong...?

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Thu Sep 9 19:41:34 UTC 2004

Hello,

to avoid too heavy cross-posting, I dropped jackit-devel from the
cc-list...

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> seeing aren't reported by jackd at all. I only see them from the
> ecasound instance that is hosting the analogueOsc LADSPA plugins and
> only when it exits. The rtnull input object reports them when this
> ecasound instance exits. Every ecasound chain has to have an input and
> an output. Since I just want the audio from the plugin, which in
> ecasound's world is an effect attached to a chain between an input and
> an output, the rtnull input object serves as a place holder virtual
> audio device/file/thing.
>
> Maybe these xruns are red herring? Kai?

Definitely! You should use "null" instead of "rtnull" if you have any
JACK, ALSA, or other real-time objects in the same setup.

Rtnull, or realtime null, consumes or produces data at real-time speed
(unlike plain "null" that does the same as fast as it can). This is useful
feature in some circumstances, for example when writing audio to a pipe
and from there with netcat to network. Without rtnull, you'd overflow the
network interface (and the receiving end).

But if you have both rtnull and jack/alsa devices in the same setup, you
will get xruns, as rtnull is driven by the system clock while jack/alsa
are driven by the soundcard clock. Sooner or later the clocks will drift
enough and you'll start to get constant xruns.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!