[linux-audio-dev] VP kernels

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Sep 23 00:38:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

>> > Hello!
>> > I'm not subscribed to LKML, so positng here.
>> > Anyone tried 2.6.9-rc2-mm1-VP-S3?
>> > In two words: no luck.
>> > i8042 does not work at all (have an usb kbd hopely).
>> > Nvidia-61.11 does not modprobe (unresolved symbols), but builds .
>> >
>> > 2.6.9-rc1-VP-S0 works fine. except for few lockups after writing cds
>> > (may be not kernel, but xorg-6.8.0).
>> >
>> > Any comments?

Sure.

I've been testing 2.6.9-rc1-mm1-S3 SMP on a P4 HT SUSE 9.1 Pro box. In
fact I've been struggling with the VP's ever since O3, while on SMP/HT. It
hasn't been a pleasent experience, to say the least.

My latest findings, S3 inclusive, goes something like this:

- can only have it stable or even bootable if CONFIG_SCHED_SMT is not set.

- systematic hardlocks when jackd -R is started while on softirq-preempt=1
and/or hardirq-preempt=1.

- can't get to burn CD/DVDs at all, even with that scsi_ioctl.c command
verification bypass.

- can only pray while having the boot/init process reach the xdm login
prompt successfully.

More times than I find fair and enough, it simply dies on the beach, so to
speak. And to make things worst, right after when this happens, some
hardware components start behaving erratically. Only a (very) cold boot
(i.e. extreme power down) seems to be the solution to this strange
side-effect(s).

OTOH just by rebooting on a stable vanilla kernel ends all this crappy
annoyances ;)

This all gets me feeling about the edge being fed up with this VP thing,
even more when, quite ironically, this machine works fine let alone with a
2.6 vanilla SMP/HT preemptible kernel. Yeah, no xruns while running jackd
-R -p 128 -n 2 ... (jack-0.99.0)

Just some late-night thoughts... and please forgive me for being on the
negative side this time ;)

Gotta get to sleep now...
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela