[linux-audio-dev] Other real-time options

Fri Apr 8 21:18:14 UTC 2005

> This is a really good point. I mean, how many of the people on
> linux-*user* have written to the kernel people making noise? How many
> even know how to do that? I know I don't, and I know tons of musicians
> are just starting to take a serious look at linux in the last year, so
> the groundswell is starting to happen. ( Thanks to everyone on here whoo
> hoo! ) Letter writing works. If you guys put a page up or a post on all
> related forums explaining to us newbies and end users what kind of noise
> we should make and how to make it politely and intelligently so it adds
> weight to your request, I suspect a lot of people would be happy to
> oblige, and I have a hard time believing it wouldn't have an effect. I
> mean who doesn't want their work to be the world's best platform for
> something?

That's something I was thinking about. I think we should write a letter
to Linus/other developers asking for one of the current solution (I
would suggest Ingo's) to be merged soon. I'm sure everyone at Xiph
(including me) would sign it, as well as many here too. That could
finally give us some weight. Once at least something is merged, it would
be much easier to put more stuff and convince distros to support it.

What I think is also important to convince distros is to find
applications where the general public will benefit. One application I
already see is VoIP. It's not just for musicians/technicians and right
now there are lots of limitations that are caused by the poor
unprivileged latency. Any other example?

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke