[linux-audio-dev] Creating the conditions for VST-like plugins on Linux.

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sat Apr 9 19:04:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-04 at 14:57 -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> The following are excuses:
>
> -Because we need core and interface separation, this way we warranty a
> clean design and network transparency
> -Because it would force both interface and core to be memory locked, as
> a result of being a jack clients, forcing more physical memory to be used
> -Because separating interface and core makes for a clear design.
>
> And I say, ALL THIS IS LIES. Every single of such reasons are of no
> concern to musicans. If I just want to make music, I would not care
> about any of such reasons. I'd just fire up an application and make
> music. All that seems to me more like academia-speech than real reasons

Maybe YOUR way of making music doesn't care.  MINE does.  Network
transparency is important to me, and DSSI is f'ing wonderful, and  400
thousand times better than VST for what I want to do.

"ALL THIS IS LIES" because your opinion's different?  Right.

> You can believe them or not, but it's PROVEN that none of these are
> needed to make music.

It's PROVEN that computers aren't needed to make music too.

Your point?

-DR-