[linux-audio-dev] Creating the conditions for VST-like plugins on Linux.

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Sat Apr 9 10:13:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:32:47AM +0200, torbenh at gmx.de wrote:
> the code which is currently commented out, is getting the XID of the
> wine window, and swallows that into a gtk interface.
>

> just create a thread and run the qt/gtk mainloop for a plugin in that thread.
> one application can open several sockets and connections to an XServer.

Hi guys

Interesting ideas.

But i'm writing a plugin host (still no code released, sigh) that uses a
gui/engine split. So the dssi approach is appealing to me, as the engine
shouldnt ideally be running, or even be linking to gui code. To me
personally, which xwindow is hosting the plugin is a minor detail.

Chionic looks very nice indeed! On the homepage Juan says:
"No, no move to DSSi, this app is too complex to behave as separate
UI/Core. I hope it servers as example of why you cant expect DSSi to
handle this level of complexity. There's just TOO much realtime
feedback"

I would be interested to know how hard you tried before giving up. In
your experience, is using something like shared memory too difficult,
too slow? I'm not yet convinced that i have to give up the benefits of
separation.

cheers
--
Tim Orford