[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Concerning libfst, vstserver, and dssi-vst

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Tue Apr 12 15:35:43 UTC 2005

Dave Phillips wrote:

> I'm sure there are other matters I've not included. However, it
> appears that maintaining VST/VSTi compatibility is a project very much
> desired by the user community. Speaking for myself, I've got used to
> running Crystal, Hypercanvas, and a few other VSTi plugins for which
> there are no equal or better native plugins. I would also like to test
> new versions of WINE without the fear of blasting compatibility
> (though as I said earlier, I do understand that repairing WINE is not
> a LAD priority).

Count me as one of those users who has plenty of VST plugins that I
would love to use in Linux.

It seems to me that it would benefit users, in the long run, if
developer(s) of a VST plugin wrapper would grab WINE and not look back.
Take it as a starting point for the win32 interface of a VST wrapper;
mold it to work and go from there. It would be difficult at first, but
not impossible. The communication between the WINE team and this wrapper
team could occur on the level of a knowledge transfer of future
WINE/Win32 development; but not on the level of trying to synchronize
code development (that's too many moving targets in 2+ teams - teams who
are not paid to be on a schedule to synchronize. Plus, it sounds like
people are darn frustrated with changes in WINE).

I know it sounds tough. Maybe one of the current WINE coders can come
over to the wild side of audio dev. Seems worth considering.

brad

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124