[linux-audio-dev] Libs for reading/writing midis

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Aug 5 09:52:44 UTC 2005

Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 16:56 +0000, Will Woodruff wrote:
>> It seems like every single linux midi app has it's own code for
>> reading/writing midi files. What's up with that? Are there no quality
>> libraries?
>
> It seems like every single Windows audio app has to support like 6
> different audio backends plus Rewire/Rewire2.  What's up with that, is
> there no single standard for interapplication audio routing like JACK?
>
> ;-)

Lee, you are being exceptionally helpful today...
Reminds me of a saying of a friend of mine: "Why be helpful if I am not?"

Reusability of code is a quite valid point, and I thought the OP's
question was quite interesting.

We shouldn't define ourselves in terms of what windows does.  Frankly, I don't
care anymore, its now 8 years since I switched to Linux completely.

libmidifile would be cute, is any of the existing codebases flexible
enough so that it could be massaged into a nice lib?

--
CYa,
  Mario