[linux-audio-dev] Simultaneous Output Audio Engine?

Thomas Vecchione seablade at softhome.net
Tue Aug 23 18:45:40 UTC 2005

Evening-

  I was looking at starting a coding project for my work(Theaterical
Sound Designer) and one of the things I was looking at doing is adding a
playback engine to be used in a live situation.  For this end I would
need an audio engine capable of simultaneous file playback across the
same or multiple audio interfaces, preferably using Jack.  I was
wondering if there was a good engine out there that already existed to
accomplish this?

Would Like:

Just the engine, ability to program UI seperately.
Ability to control basic concepts like Volume and Pan
Possible Surround Output(5.1) and appropriate Pan implementation.
Ability to play multiple files simultaneously, outputting either to the
same interface or seperate interfaces
Jack Compatibility

Eventually I would love to be able to add things like LADSPA support and
such to this program.  My goal is a program that I can use to program in
automation(Basic) in terms of Volume and Pan, and hopefully eventually
Automation in terms of the Plugins used.  The Main Goal of the program
is to be used for playing Music and Sound Effects in Live Theater,
however it will also be used to organize paperwork and such so that
anything related to a production can be pulled up on the computer at any
given time.

I would also like to look into a good Midi Library, specificly for
sending Midi Control Messages out over an interface to control external
equipment.

And since i am pretty new to audio programming, and pretty much can be
considered a newcomer to programming in general I would love any
suggestions on reading material for programming for audio, as I would
imagine there are a few accepted and unaccepted tricks to keep a low
latency system up, but also for minimizing HD load times and
prebuffering clips in memory to allow for faster access etc.  I doubt I
will be using this right off hand, I am sticking to programming easier
things for a reason for right now;)

           Seablade