[linux-audio-dev] Re: Replacement for my M-Audio Audiophile USB

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 07:03:35 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I record vinyl (new) on a very regular basis with my griffin imic.> Cheap
> usb gear if that's what you need. only 24 / 48k though. Sounds> good to me
> though.  I use ortofon needles and run the turntables> through my ecler
> mixer. All round sound quality is very good.
> I'm taking a break from USB soundcards.  *grin*.
> I purchased an Audiophile 2496.  Even though my first M-Audio
> productexperience sucked. There's loads of stuff about success's with
> the2496 and it's recording specs were almost just a good as theaudiophile
> USB.  Newegg had them for $89 bucks.
> Thank's for the info.  Looks like I need to get an ortofon needle formy new
> Stanton turntable.  You are the 2nd person to call them out.
> --Richard A. Smith

Stanton turntable? STR8-130 or whatever they are called, the one with
the spdif out? If so, don't use the spdif out. Use the normal phono
out a standard preamp. I'm assuming it would come with stanton needles
which, as somewhat of a generalisation, suck. If it's just for
recording get one of the cheaper eliptical ortofon needles. The om 5e
is nice and cheap. If you get into the concord range it's mostly about
djing stuff, i.e better tracking, more sturdy and the extra cash
doesn't always mean better sound quality. For djing stuff i'd
recommend the elektro (the white one).

Loki