[linux-audio-dev] Developing a music editor/sequencer

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 5 00:42:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 17:21, NadaSpam wrote:
> I wanted to post this to the root of the thread since this isn't a reply to
> any particular post, but I lost the beginning of the thread somehow.
>
> This is my initial stab at a development plan. I'm tentatively calling this
> project Scortch. Because of fundamental differences in design, I don't
Chiming in a bit late,

If I read your idea correctly you want a canvas where symbolic data (midi
notes for instance) is represented in western music notation and audio data
is included either as a variation of notation or as wave views.
The big difference from existing projects is that you look at
musical/symbolical time (bars/beats) as a staff/track property instead of
looking at it as a canvas wide property.
I would really like a program that does that. It matches much more my thinking
about music that the usual idea of a single symbolic-time.

I would suggest that you develop that first rather than doing something that
can do 4/4 first.

So you take a widget library with a good canvas widget and you design a system
of metric/meter rulers that can be used to allign rectangular blocks along
horizontal lines (aka tracks). The blocks here are measures/staffs not piano
roll notes.
Multiple rulers are allowed, complex tempo maps should be easy etc.etc. All
the features that are impossible with existing software.

Then you can figure out how to replace those blocks with visual
representations or how this time ordering of blocks can send information to
other applications to generate the aural or the visual representation of this
master structure.

This way we will soon have a program that is at the worst a nice temporal
visualisation tool. Something that is lacking in the current vocabulary of
linux audio software.

another 0,02 euro

Gerard

--