[linux-audio-dev] cool plugin from Waves

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Sat Feb 5 10:37:46 UTC 2005

On fre, 2005-02-04 at 22:09 +0100, David Olofson wrote:

[...]
> > I think this method will not catch the mild doppler effect arising
> > from turbolence? (.. nor the *wild* turbolence, if house is on
> > fire!)
>
> I guess not, because that's kind of equivalent to the room changing
> shape all the time, I think - and you can't capture that without a
> constantly "morphing" impulse response. No idea how you would go
> about recording something like that, though.

Neither do I .. and I think it would literally take forever. But since
the wigglings and wobblings in the reverb-tail are all slight variations
on a common theme, I might like to try some of the following:

Use a 'wobble-generator' to crossfade between two (or more) samples
taken at different locations.

Cheat and 'Wobble' the input and 'wiggle' the tail slightly.

> I *do* have an idea about what kind of problems that would pull in,
> though: It would be like looping a sampled waveform, except each
> sample is an impulse response... So, you need a nice, click free, non
> repetitive sounding loop. :-)

Good thinking!

Click free loop can be automated.
Quantifying 'nice' is harder ...

Non repetitive ... Say we morph between two 'nice' loops:

 Loop A is 2.00 seconds
 Loop B is 2.71 seconds
 Crossfade 3.14 seconds (full circle)

... then we would get in the right ballpark for a simulation of the
sameness, though everchanging sound of complex sustained notes.

This is for the sustained part though, and might not translate verbatim
to the decay of a room?

[...]

> This is a well known way to "cheat" to save cycles.

Or perhaps it is:

A simplified model of a rooms characteristic decay combined with a
simplified model of the turbolence, sounds better than without the
simplified turbolence.

In a parallel universe it could argued that, a speech-synthesizer
singing 'Lieder' is much more convincing if you have the appropiate
Bontempi Piano to go along with it.

--

   (
    )