[linux-audio-dev] Trying to get midi input using OSS

airplays55 at yahoo.com airplays55 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 04:54:28 UTC 2005

I've been trying for months to get my midi input
(using OSS/free) on a knoppix liveCD so that I can
record midi in the included rosegarden2.1, and here is
where I am now:

I found a very short program that all it does is
simply print out the bytes recieved at the midi input
- its at
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~craig/articles/linuxmidi/input/section1.html

My /dev/sequencer is working fine for output (verified
with playmidi -e) however this program does not
display any midi input.

Actually what happens is BEFORE running the program, I
verify that my Roland sound module (connected to the
midi output of the midi cable plugged into the
soundcard) DOES recieve input from the midi keyboard
plugged into the midi input, BUT then when I run the
program, the midi input is no longer passed through to
the midi output.

I've verified that the test program displays no midi
input using /dev/sequencer, or /dev/midi, /dev/midi00
(I changed the device in the code)

Here are the only steps I followed which succeeded in
getting the ESS1868 midi output working.

  modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
mpu_io=0x330  # OR dma16=-1
  modprobe -v mpu401 io=0x330 irq=7
  modprobe -v opl3 io=0x388

I guess that if I just get this sample program to
display midi input, then I will be able to start using
rosegarden2.1 to record midi?  But why would the test
program use /dev/sequencer for input (I thought
/dev/midi was the input?)

Why would my midi output (/dev/sequencer) but my midi
input wouldn't work?

here is the relevant output of sndstat:
Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3