[linux-audio-dev] Linux DSP Hardware?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 11:48:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:08:35PM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> jipi wrote:
> > currently, all signal processing algos are being done in software for
> > Linux Audio.
> > are there any hardware accelerated support for audio hardware when doing
> > these sort of algos?
>
> If you bend the definition of "hardware accelerated" enough, SIMD
> extensions like MMX/SSE... would qualify. :)

Heh, yeah, though we dont support those that well, until gcc4 is out.

There is a problem to do with building LADSPA plugins that makes it hard to
hand over SSE-built functions on SSE capable machine, and 387 otherwise
from a single .so, which is a shame, but I cant think of an easy way round
it.

> > what if we want to experiment with h/w dsp?
>
> The DSP on emu10k1 cards is the only one supported in Linux.

I think some of the general purpose DSP PCI cards are supported, but they
cost serious money. e.g. http://www.agelectronics.co.uk/dp12.html

- Steve