[linux-audio-dev] Re: problem latencytest: modprobe rtc: no such device

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jan 5 11:18:52 UTC 2005

At Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:20:01 +0100,
Maarten de Boer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I decided to give kernel 2.6.10 a try, so I installed it in combination
> with Con Kolivas system system responsiveness patch. But when I try to
> run the latencytest (0.5.5), I run into the following problem:
>
> $ modprobe latency-test
> WARNING: Error inserting rtc (/lib/modules/2.6.10-ck2-ck2-pentium4/kernel/drivers/char/rtc.ko): No such device

That looks problematic.

Did you enable HPET?  When hpet timer is enabled, it disables RTC
interrupts.  Even worse, it disables RTC irq even if HPET is not
detected from BIOS but only compiled.

(To be noted: HPET is indded on most of todays PCs, but it's never
 correctly initialized via BIOS, APCI, whatever.)

Takashi