[linux-audio-dev] Re: problem latencytest: modprobe rtc: no such device

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Wed Jan 5 12:46:11 UTC 2005

Hi Takashi,

Thanks for your reply.

> Did you enable HPET?

Hmm, it seems so... I configured my kernel using the debian .config
as oldconfig.

$ grep HPET /boot/config-2.6.10-ck2-pentium4
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET=y
# CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ is not set
CONFIG_HPET_MMAP=y

> When hpet timer is enabled, it disables RTC interrupts.

Ah, even when CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ is not set??

> Even worse, it disables RTC irq even if HPET is not
> detected from BIOS but only compiled.

I see... Ok, I will recompile my kernel with HPET disabled.
But maybe a HPET version of the latencytest would be nice,
especially since:

"The High Precision Event Timer (HPET) hardware is the future
replacement for the 8254 and Real Time Clock (RTC) periodic timer
functionality."

maarten