[linux-audio-dev] Realtime audio and IO schedulers

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Sat Jan 22 22:43:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:00:10 -0500
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> >Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> writes:
> >> http://kerneltrap.org/node/4406
> >
> >By all means play around with this.  But, maintain a healthy
> >skepticism about it.  I seriously doubt any of it is worth worrying
> >about until after realtime CPU scheduling is rock solid (which is
> >clearly not the case yet).

well, it is pretty much "good enough" for recording with periodsizes
like 1024 frames.

> well, given the seriousness of the errors that occur in the case that
> florian described, and the absence of xruns in his test cases, there
> is an entirely different issue here, one that seems to be totally
> disk-centric.

Well, i should describe why i asked this question in the first place. i
played around with multitrack recordings of 16 or 24 tracks, and in
these cases a simple

find /

can cause disk io starvation to ardour. Sure, one could argue: "well,
don't run find /", but i think it would be great to be able to make some
process _always_ get io before any other process.

The io priorities look promising, but they kinda compare to nice values.
Something like SCHED_FIFO for disk io would really be needed to, to
provide really high reliable recording..

flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/