[linux-audio-dev] Realtime audio and IO schedulers

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sun Jan 23 00:57:05 UTC 2005

Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> writes:

> The io priorities look promising, but they kinda compare to nice values.
> Something like SCHED_FIFO for disk io would really be needed to, to
> provide really high reliable recording..

IIUC, most file system I/O is actually initiated by a buffer cache
manager in the VM subsystem.  At that level, I think it would be quite
difficult to relate a dirty page to properties of the process that had
done the original write().

So, "SCHED_FIFO to disk" might be limited to raw (unbuffered) I/O.
Perhaps that is fine for the scenario you envision.
--
  joq